Sunday, June 30, 2024

Chai Thai - Portland, OR

CLOSED June 30(?), 2024

14035 SE Stark St, Hazelwood

Visited November 5, 2014

The locals seem to know where to go for a good meal and every one who came in appeared to be regulars.



Chicken Pad Thai. Pad Thai is a dish that seems fairly easy to prepare but to do it very well takes experiences, timing, and skill.

At Chai Thai, they do it well although they don't do it best. A good Pad Thai has well separated, well defined, non-gluey, non-clumpy, smooth looking strands of rice noodles. Not quit there. Good Pad Thai has a good mixture of salty, sweet, sour, and spicy flavors. The sweetness and tartness hit target but I would have preferred more fish sauce and a whole lot more kick. It was my fault for not asking for a heavier dose of heat. The one missing component that I was hoping for and didn't get was wok hay. The other ingredient that would have been really nice but I knew I wouldn't get was dried shrimp.Two unexpected items were the fresh uncooked bean sprouts and the crushed peanuts on the side to add or limit to personal taste.

Even though the Pad Thai wasn't near perfect, I enjoyed it more than the meals I've had at Pok Pok.

Food: ★★3/4
Service: ★★1/2
Probability of making an out of the way return: 1%
Probability of returning if in the area: 20%

No comments:

Post a Comment