Saturday, September 20, 2008

Acapulco Restaurante Mexicano - Stillwater, MN


1240 Frontage Road W

Visited September 20, 2008

I'm sure if Acapulco is an independent because it has the look and feel of a chain restaurant. As it turns out, it is a family owned chain with 5 and soon to be 6 restaurants.

During our first visit years ago, we were pleasantly surprised by the food. Following our initial visit, we returned again but it lack that initial feel. We also dined at the Woodbury location but the Woodbury location further turned our view as it seemed to serve even more Americanized Mexican. A couple more visits to Acapulco Stillwater confirmed the cooks lost their edge.

It's been more than a year since our last visit to Acapulco. We decided to give Acapulco another chance. I'm glad we did because the restaurant seemed to regain much of its mojo.

My recollection on what I ordered escapes me. Picture above is a lunch entree (not combo) I ordered, something like Colorado Burrito. The platter does not look like much buried under layer of shredded lettuce but the food is tasty, avoiding the Americanized Mexican overtones. The food isn't as vibrant as Mexican foods served in the TC core restaurants.

For dessert, we had the Cheesecake Flauta (or something like that) - cheesecake filling stuffed into wraps with strawberries and whipped cream. It was a comparatively low cost dessert that hit the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment