Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Lucero's Mexican Food - Denver, CO

CLOSED September 12, 2026

https://www.westword.com/food-drink/denver-restaurant-opening-and-closings-40933160/

3657 Fillmore St

Visited May 8, 2018

Lucero's is a neighborhood restaurant that is about as neighborhood can get. Located a few blocks from a school in the heart of a residential area, it is a restaurant for the locals and the cashier know the locals. The cashier is probably wondering who this fool outsider is and how he found this place.


I ask her what the specialty is and she replies Mexican Hamburger. One to dine in.


The cashier brings the Mexican Burger over in about three minutes. Much sooner than anticipated. They must have cooked the patty in advance. Yes, the patty is lukewarm and it has a slightly off taste like a frozen food burger. The patty texture is light, lacking density and heartiness. It's also surprisingly bland. In fact the whole smothered platter, ordered mild, is surprisingly bland. It fails to be lively and playful. It's home cooking where the kids never tell mom to improve her output.

Maybe, just maybe, I chose the wrong item. Would I give them another shot? Yes. I can't believe all the locals coming have tolerant palates.

Food: ★★1/4
Service: ★★1/2
Probability of making an out of the way return: 0%
Probability of returning if in the area: 15%

No comments:

Post a Comment