4080 W Broadway Ave #141
Visited May 20, 2008
Here's something you don't see every day. It's located in a strip mall next to a gun shop, Athens easily goes unnoticed yet it's the type of restaurant I'm always looking for.
Order at the counter. The cashier brings it to your table.
Falafel sandwich with onion rings and drink ($6.49). The Falafel consists of five pieces of falafel served in a pita with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, hummus, and tahini. Nicely plated. The onion rings were fantastic, regardless if scratch made or store bought frozen. The rings were thick, hot, with the correct amount of batter.
The falafels were big, almost mini burger patty size and were charred burger brown. If the color wasn't enough of a clue, the eating answered the puzzle. It wasn't an obvious burnt bitter but with a strongly better. To get to the true flavor, I scraped the outside to reach the pistachio green center. It was lacking delicate flavors but heavy on a cumin like spice. The hummus dolloped on top was overly tart further detracting from the package. The tomatoes were unripe pink.
I finished about two thirds of it only because stingy me had to get my money's worth. I wanted to love Athens but I reciprocate what I get. If properly cooked falafel should be golden brown, then the cook should have tossed it out and started over and the server should have exercised enough business sense than to serve this atrocity.

No comments:
Post a Comment